"working on my faults and cracks..."

10.06.2009

first in flite


timestamps never worked on 35mm cameras either

As evidenced in the above Lime Lake photograph taken on my now retired Pentax IQ, I used to ride a different road bike (different from the one I spent the last year "curating"), one which took me all across Leelanau County before life took me across the Pacific.

Was definitely a different rider back then, inexplicably requiring all sorts of ridiculous cycling gadgetry like "gears," and "brakes," and a cadence computer for whatever inane reason.
Escaped last week's rain by hiding in the garage with my old cro-moly KHS Flite 500 on the hoist, reworking it to fit my developing riding taste.


an evening on the velo stripper pole

After a desperately necessary degreaser bath and spit-shine combo, first to go were all of the original bike safety warning stickers (god, I was such a noob), then the aforementioned parts, save for the gears. I decided to keep the eight-speed cassette (from back when the industry thought 24 speeds were enough) and rear derailleur for the time being. On the front, I dropped both of the smaller chainrings, and fitted the big ring where the mid was.
And just like that, the KHS is a peppy little one-by-eight.
Hopefully, for the only gears that should matter. Brilliant.


shimano sora: blast from the crappy past

Now if only I had cantilever brake mounts, and some beefier tires. Slightly less essential would be a better saddle, 31mm bars+stem, short cage derailleur, and maybe a Sugino Zen to match some new 144bcd cranks, and I might just have the perfect cyclocross bike setup. Even without all of that though, I still have a good commuter, or a decent trainer for hillier sessions, or longer rides running just out of fixed-gear range.

To finally get out and put this setup through its paces, I need to find whomever has been doing the rain dance on Sugarloaf Mountain all week, and pimp-slap the shit out of him.


current work-in-progress, in progress

0 contributions to this piece:


 
Copyright 2010 - Powered by Blogger - Header Image: Banksy at Sundance