"working on my faults and cracks..."

2.26.2009

"...no Morgan Freeman to narrate the shame..."


"...they don't understand just the power of significance
more than brilliance
and certainly more than dividends" 

I don't listen to hip-hop. I don't care about hip-hop. I don't use hip-hop to mask insecurities when surrounded by other shallow assholes. So it goes without saying that I'm about as qualified to be its critic as your grandmother, bless her heart.

It's hard to find even one iota of legitimacy in a genre that glorifies looking like an idiot, talking like an idiot, and behaving like an idiot. Because of this, I spend far more time gleefully loathing the social irresponsibility of confused and oversexed surburbanites, and reveling in the inevitable lampoonery, than searching out authentic reasons to give it a second chance. I'd sooner strap tiny, glittering jewels to my front teeth, and spelling out the word "douchebag," than bother.
On that clarification, Troubadour is the first time I've hesitantly turned my ears to a hip-hop record and said...

...absolutely nothing


"Kinda like finding god in the phone book," he says.

I couldn't agree more.

K'Naan: more than just storytelling in rhyme

0 contributions to this piece:


 
Copyright 2010 - Powered by Blogger - Header Image: Banksy at Sundance