"working on my faults and cracks..."

6.01.2007

"Just all of us, the lost causes..."


Why do I think this is funny?

taco = a raging Tex-Mex boner
tako = Japanese for an eight-armed undersea cephalopod served raw

Foreign language drives me insane.
And makes me hungry.

Last night's Anberlin show was cool as balls. Tiny little club off one of the busiest streets in Osaka, filled with kids who love music. No elitist scene kids, and no circle pit assholes...well, I guess that's because there was no circle pit to be filled with said assholes, but that's beside the point. And that's really the biggest difference between shows in Japan, and shows in the states. Kids don't go to shows to be assholes. And in the states, it seems like the majority of the kids go to the shows like it's their job--like they owe it to the scene or to the band to do their little routine at every show. But here, it really feels like kids go to the shows to get away, and because they love music. I noticed an unusually high number of smiles amidst the sweaty bouncing mass in front of the stage. Felt good to be back around people like that, in front of a band like Anberlin.*
On the downside though, Japanese kids positively suck at calling for an encore. A lot of polite "golf-ish" clapping, and then a lot of orderly filing towards the exit and merch table.

While some band members went back to the hotel to rest for the flight to Singapore the following day, the others went to another club down the street to hang out with fans who opted to miss the last train home. It was a great chance for me to meet the voices and guitars behind the songs that have kept me running through this transitional period. While they were unable to play "*Fin" for me, I instead heard afterwards all about how it was written. An interesting story behind the epic song, that I'm sure will suffice for now. Somewhere between 4 and 5 am, I made it back to an internet cafe, and passed out--partly from exhaustion, and partly from the stench of my shoes when I took them off.

Also ran into Takeshi from Ellegarden at the afterparty. For an insanely popular pop punk hellion, he's extremely Japanese, and a nice guy to boot. I guess it goes without saying.

Back to Okayama, back to reality. Stepping out of the station, "...soft light makes every sad sight seem all right." I guess coming back isn't entirely shitty.




*PS: Copeland was also amazing.

 
Copyright 2010 - Powered by Blogger - Header Image: Banksy at Sundance